Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bah Humbug!

I'm sorry to start this so early, but I have to see if anyone else looks forward to the upcoming holidays and thinks.... WHY? Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Christmas. I do, mainly because we get to see all of our family that we see about once a year, little kids are always excited, lots of good food, etc. However, I hate, hate hate hate how commercial this holiday becomes. First it's the glitz and glam of decor, then baking like there's no tomorrow (or buying if you don't bake), then you want to give your kids the best Christmas ever, then you've been wanting this BIG purchase for a long time now, and your spouse has been wanting 6 BIGGER purchases for even longer, then you start recieving gifts from everyone... which means that the good festive Christmas lover that you are would have plenty of awesome gifts to throw back in return, then there are always those people that go waaaayy over the top and buy large extravagant gifts for you, which is very nice... but then you're thinking, what could I possibly get them that would be half as great and still fit in my budget? And the answer to that is usually... nothing. When all is said and done, you've got a house full of things that will be boxed away and soon forgotten until next year around the same time.

I wish I could do something this year that completely eliminated this twisted view of what Christmas is really supposed to be about. I've heard of families giving up their Christmas to give to a needy family. I have a friend that does fund raisers for different charitys during Christmas time. I want this Christmas to be different and less stressful than what I'm anticipating.

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Tippetts Family said...

Hey, I just wanted to say WOW! I was reading through some of your older posts to figure out what was going on with your little man. It nearly brought me to tears all that you guys, especially your son, have been through! I am hoping all is getting better. I apologize this comment has nothing to do with your post! You are a stud for handling this all with such courage! Hats off to you and Josh!
Laycee

Chelsea said...

Hey Mama!! Love Izzy's pic below. She looks like your pics when you were little. Glad that Koda's tests went well. I was just going to txt you about that. I don't know what to do for Christmas, I don't want to do a lot though. We'll talk.

Chelsea said...

Oh keep the bedtime routine going. It really is the key to sanity.

Joni said...

Take a vacation for Christmas!! :)

Shelby Asay said...

is your email still fly4life?

Dakota 08